This post allows me to encapsulate ideas discussed here previously in a form that I hope is useful to you whether you are an academic or educational developer. It presents the D3BsC model in the form of a useful framework intended to support thinking about identity and how educators can support our students to feel part of their course and get the most from their time at University.
The model is called the D3BsC model – Doing, Being, Belonging, Becoming and Connecting. In this model,
- Doing describes enactment as a process of the learner constructing their identity;
- Being describes acts of embodying learning;
- Belonging describes the value placed on the social context by the learner;
- Becoming describes the intentional and incidental acts of negotiating one’s identity; and
- Connecting describes the social and semantic learning context and its roles in validating identity.
The model is being used again as a framework to support the learning walk on the 16th January 2020: see Space Walk #Twalk #ALN #activelearning